Halsema says this on Friday evening in the AT5 program Conversation with the Burgemeester. “It is bursting with theater companies, cabaret artists, music companies in the city who all have the same desire,” said the mayor. “Fortunately, Youp van ‘t Hek still has the great advantage that he can also show his show on television and thus reach a large audience. “He has that ahead of many other comedians.”
National moment
The comedian wants more than thirty people to attend the recordings of his annual New Year’s Eve conference. Together with BNNVARA, NPO, Royal Theater Carré and production house Hekwerk, he asks the Amsterdam-Amstelland Safety Region to make this exception. It would be a “special national event”. Van ‘t Hek fears that the performance on television will not get the right atmosphere if there are only thirty people in the room.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte said earlier that he could not make an exception to the rules regarding audience size. “I would love to, Youp,” said the Prime Minister on the Beau program. “But I can’t do that.” Culture minister Ingrid van Engelshoven did not immediately reject the idea. “If he comes up with a serious proposal, we will take a serious look at it.”
Township
With Mayor Halsema’s ruling, the idea seems to have been definitively abandoned. “When I start making an exception, all other institutions, comedians and theater companies are right at my doorstep. Youp van “t Hek will also understand that that is not possible.”