Coen Verbraak has won the Sonja Barend Award for the second time. He received the professional prize for his conversation with former Dutchbat soldier Liesbeth Beukeboom in his three-part documentary series Srebrenica – the powerless mission of Dutchbat.
Sonja Barend personally presented the award for the best television interview of the year on Thursday during a broadcast of De Vooravond. “It was something I enjoyed making,” said the “proud” winner.
Verbraak was chosen by a jury from a long list of ten interviews. Other nominees included Eva Jinek, Matthijs van Nieuwkerk, Jeroen Wollaars and Tijs van den Brink.
It is the second time that Verbraak has won the prize. In 2013, his interview with Rijkman Groenink was voted the best interview of the year in the Kijken in de soul program. āBut I am perhaps more proud of this,ā he said of his Srebrenica triptych.
The Sonja Barend Award, organized by the VARAgids, was presented for the twelfth time this year. Last year the prize went to Kefah Allush. Previous winners are Eva Jinek (2018), Janine Abbring (2017), Jeroen Pauw (2014 and 2015) and Matthijs van Nieuwkerk (2009).

