Phillip Cocu has left Derby County. It is officially a departure in consultation. The last player in the English Championship also said goodbye to assistants Chris van der Weerden and Twan Scheepers. 50-year-old Cocu was in his second season in the service of the Rams.
Cocu already posted a message on Instagram today. “I can confirm that, after consultation with the owner and management, it has been decided that it is best for all parties to leave the club. Despite the fact that the current season is unfortunately not going as planned, I believe in the project we have started. “The future looks bright for Derby County. I wish everyone at Derby County the very best, both on and off the field.”
Derby County is underperforming this season. Cocu’s team is last and only won once in the first eleven league matches. Only the away game against Norwich City yielded three points. Cocu has already lost seven times and only took 6 points with his team this season. Last weekend, Derby County lost to Barnsley (0-2), but Cocu was missing on the bench in that game because he was in quarantine. He had been in contact with director Stephen Pearce, who turned out to be infected.
The club states in a statement that Cocu did not always have to work in the easiest circumstances. The club also praises the number of youth players that the former PSV trainer has allowed to flow to the first team. Cocu was also particularly active in Derby County’s social projects during the corona era, the club said in the statement.
Cocu also worked with player / assistant Wayne Rooney at Derby County. The English star has in any case been asked to be part of the technical staff in the run-up to the match against Bristol City, which is scheduled for Saturday. It is not yet known whether Rooney will also definitively succeed Cocu. At Derby County, which is about to be taken over by wealthy Arabs, Dutch keeper Kelle Roos and defender Mike te Wierik also play. (FOX Sports / ANP)